The True Story

Monday, July 05, 2004

I knelt to pray but not for long,
I had too much to do.
I had to hurry and get to work
For bills would soon be due.
So I knelt and said a hurried prayer,
And jumped up off my knees.
My Christian duty was now done
My soul could rest at ease.
All day long I had no time
To spread a word of cheer.
No time to speak of Christ to friends,
They'd laugh at me I'd fear.
No time, no time, too much to do,
That was my constant cry,
No time to give to souls in need
But at last the time, the time to die.
I went before the Lord,
I came, I stood with downcast eyes.
For in his hands God held a book;
It was the book of life.
God looked into his book and said
"Your name I cannot find.
I once was going to write it down...
But never found the time"

I've received some criticism for "calling-out" some people. So this I have to say:

Excuses! That's all I ever hear! Too busy to commit to anything other than your own personal responsibilities. Too caught up with stuff for your own reasons to even sit and pray to God.

Those who have known me long know this about me. I used to always drive my car with my gas light on (sometimes I still do). When I have a passenger with me, they notice the bright orange light and tell me to get gas. My response is always, "I'll get some later." Sometimes I say, "Nah, I just have too much to do. I can't stop to get gas right now."

Sure enough, one day as I was driving on the 54 freeway, my car stalled. No more gas. I had to call AAA for a tow to the nearest gas station.

The point of the story is this. You can never be too busy to fill up. You're in charge of what your life is like and you make it what it is. If you arrange your life in such a way that you don't even make time to be with God, then you're screwed. Don't play the victim. You chose that path and your decisions have resulted in the kind of life you have now. Much in the same way I justify my driving without gas. I know I can allow myself to get caught up in my duties, but it doesn't have to be that way. Its up to me to give myself time to take care of that. If not, then I find myself stranded on the side of the freeway. All of it is a direct result of the decisions I make. No one else, and nothing else makes it that way.

I just wanna make one more point before I totally offend anyone. This is my true story for today:

Integrity and commitment are very serious matters for me. If you say you're gonna do it, you'd better do it. If you say you're gonna be there at a certain time, you'd better damn well be there at that time. I value your word and I will hold you to it. BUT... if you've made it clear to me that your word means nothing or you lack integrity, then don't expect me to believe you when you make agreements with me. Its a waste of my time. Actually its not MY time, its a waste of Gods time.

PERSONAL DISCLAIMER

I know this makes me sound like a hard-ass and unreasonable. You know what though? I'm at a point in my life where I don't need that crap in my life. I don't buy into excuses. In fact, whenever I hear excuses, it just irritates me more. I don't care where you come from in your life. I don't care what you're going through in your life. I don't care about stories. I only pay attention to results. Results meaning, did you or didn't you? Did you accomplish it or not? I expect the best from everyone just as God does. You're either giving 100% or you're not.