The True Story

Saturday, March 26, 2005

*** Movie spoiler. If you haven't seen Constantine, be aware that there will be references to the movie in this post. Don't get mad if it spoils it for you***

If you dont care about the struggle between good and evil, then you don't know how hard it is for someone who believes in God to live in this world. If you don't see past your own nose and think that the whole world revolves around you then its probably hard for you to realize that we are all connected in this world and that our actions and decisions (including our INactions and INdecisions) affect the lives of everyone around us.

I'm not here to talk crap at people nor is my agenda to belittle anyone. My reason for writing this post is to share my thoughts about a seemingly simple subject; Did you or did you not like the movie Constantine?

I've heard a lot of different views and opinions about the movie. Most of these are negative in nature and criticize the movie as a flop. I understand that the movie offers little in the entertainment department and is somewhat lacking in the content, but the irony of it is, I actually liked it a lot.

In my conversations with people who didn't like the movie, I started to wonder why if I like it so much do they dislike it. I thought I missed something in the movie that made it so bad. But as I continued to explore these thoughts, it became clear to me why I liked it so much. In the end, when Gabriel was stating the reasons why he did what he did, I felt a connection to his beliefs. I began to understand the logic behind his madness.

I look at the world today and can't help but feel despair. I've already entertained the belief that there's no hope for mankind and that if we continue to do what we're doing now, we will all end up killing each other one way or another. I have a lot of experiences that support that... which I won't get into now, but know that there have been plenty.

So I wonder... what is it gonna take to turn people around and have them be aware that unless we change our ways, we're doomed? Is it gonna take some tragic freak world cataclysmic event to pull us all together and realize that we're all in this together? Is it gonna take the devil wreaking havoc here on earth before we turn to God? (only because I'm catholic) I mean, c'mon! Wake up people! Even statistics show that church attendance increased dramatically when 9/11 happened. Another jump in church attendance happened when we started bombing the crap out of Iraq and our soldiers started dying. But it didn't last long. A few weeks after each event, church attendance and involvment in religious organizations "returned to normal." And now I hear people complain about how screwed up the world is and how bad their situations are in their own lives.

Fuck it, I'm bored.